Nowadays, data – particularly personal data – has become a core business asset. But as rocks turn into diamonds, so have the scope and complexity of the laws regulating their harvest. As a result, compliance failures now represent potentially critical risks that can give rise to significant regulatory fines, claims for damages, and loss of corporate value and reputational damage.
Our specialist team has a sectorial approach and focuses on issues that range from advising on commercial data-driven transactions and cross-border and domestic regulatory compliance matters, the design and implementation of global privacy and security programs including carrying out audit and risk assessments, developing global policies, negotiating cloud and other complex international data transfer agreements to cyber security breach management, regulatory investigations and contentious matters relating to rights of publicity, defamation and reputation management.
Our experience includes advising on:
- Audits and data mapping
- Controller and processor arrangements
- Cyber security breaches
- Development of technology use, privacy and cookie policies and procedures
- Data subject access and opposition rights
- Employee and worker privacy matters
- International data sharing and exploitation
- Mobile tracking and consumer protection regulation
- M&A and other strategic transactions involving the transfer of data assets
- Regulatory investigations
- Reputation management
- Social media and user-generated content involving personal data
- Training sessions