The Romanian regulatory framework for gaming was reformed in 2015–16. This created a gambling market that can be fairly characterized as robust in both its land-based and online sectors.
Fast forward, 2022 can be described as a year of legislative inflation affecting the gambling industry from various (and, in some cases, unexpected) angles.
The year in review presents the following highlights:
- In January 2022, the ONJN issued the sectoral rules and instructions clarifying how the AML regime must be implemented in the gambling sector.
- In July 2022, the Romanian government adopted an ordinance amending the country’s primary gambling legislation, most notably introducing an increase in gambling fees, new taxes and new obligations for gambling operators.
- In August 2022, following an amendment made to the Fiscal Code, taxes owed by players from gambling revenues have been increased.
- In November 2022, Parliament passed another bill aimed at further amending the primary gambling legislation. This introduces an obligation for gambling operators to keep electronic records of all persons accessing venues where gambling activities are organised and operated, and also an obligation to prove that they are equipped with a suitable technical infrastructure to compile databases of self-excluded and undesirable persons.
- Also in November 2022, a new payment obligation was introduced whereby ‘economic operators in the gambling field’ must pay 0.5 per cent of the income obtained during one month from land-based and online gambling activities by those ‘that carry out traditional and remote gambling activities’ as defined by the law, and calculated based on GGR.
Team members of our Gaming and Gambling Regulatory practice authored a detailed overview of the gambling legislative landscape in Romania. This material is part of an extensive initiative coordinated by The Law Review, now part of Lexology.
The overview is designed to cover topics such as:
- Legal and Regulatory Framework
- The Licensing Process
- Advertising and Marketing
- The year in review
The details included in this chapter do not constitute legal advice. Before taking any decision based on the information included therewith, please consult with your legal advisors. The information is accurate as of March 2023.
SIMION & BACIU has an award-winning Gaming & Gambling Regulatory practice that is focused on being ahead of the game, including by joining international reputed gambling professional associations and providing an outstanding level of service to its clients, also by teaming up with international law firms specialized in betting and gambling.
To read more about our Gaming & Gambling practice please check HERE.